I've recently bought some distress inks as I see some people using them so beautifully colouring in images.
SO, i've tried and tried but I just don't know if I'm doing something wrong.
When I click on the larger pics on people cards, the colour always looks smooth, even and beautifully blended. BUT I CAN'T GET MINE TO LOOK LIKE THAT!! LOL
Can anyone who uses them give me some hints and have a look at these photos for me to see if what i'm getting is due to the wrong card, too much water, not enough water, or just me not getting to grips with them yet.
This is after me trying to blend the ink. It really separates. If I use a normal brush, I can't spread the ink enough but if I used a water brush, then I have too much water and it bobbles the paper.
The red has come out slightly better, but still not seemlessly blended.
It looks slightly better not as close up. Is that the problem that i'm looking so close? The skin colour is really not blending well though :-(
So any advice from you talented lot, who use them, please share your tips and wisdom with me! If it is the card, can I have recommendations for that too.
Thank you everyone. It's strictly time now, then X factor, then I'm a celeb, whilst colouring in images. Perfick Saturday night. xxx
Thank you everyone. It's strictly time now, then X factor, then I'm a celeb, whilst colouring in images. Perfick Saturday night. xxx







8 comments:
Hi Kerryn, now I am no expert, am also learning. I have been making cards for a while but have only got into stamping lately. The paper makes a huge difference. I bought some really nice card at Craftworkscards, they are recommended on LOTV's website. Joanna Sheen also has some called elegance I think which is apparently also very good. I know that promarkers dont bleed on it and I am sure its good for the distress inks as well, it doesnt bobble. This thing is not to have too much water and dab with kitchen towel. When you see all those smooth skin colours on peoples photos I think they are mostly using promarkers, flexmarkers and copics as they blend beautifully. Just finished watching Strictly and Xfactor as well!! Hugs Michelle xx
Hi Kerryn
Sorry but I can't really help with regards colouring in using distress inks. So far, I do most of my colouring with either promarkers or watercolours. Do want to try distress inks at some time and I think a lot does depend on the paper or card being used.
If I did hear of any helpful tips I will let you know.
Mags
x
Hi Kerryn. I might be able to be of some help. There are a few things I have learned along the way.
First off, I used watercolor paper. I have found that I really like hot press watercolor paper because it is smooth, but tends to be a little more expensive. I get mine from a local art store.
I have used both ink pads stamped onto an old used CD, and also reinker in a divided storage container (like one you would keep beads in). I decided I really like to use the reinkers because the color is stronger and more vibrant.
I use regular paint brushes, dip in water, lightly dab off excess water on a paper towel, and then pick up the ink. I lay it down lightly with a very small brush. I then go back with a somewhat larger brush, dip in water and pull the color toward the middle.
There is a great tutorial on Camilla's blog, http://cstoen.blogspot.com/2009/03/fargelegging-med-distress-en-liten.html. There is a translation button on the sidebar.
I hope some of these tips help.
Julie
Oh, very actual theme to me - I wish I couls colour with Distress, but I have not anough colours at me yet. That's why I only coolect the *secrets* how to do... Thanks Julie for nice link.
My lovely blogging friend has a step by step on her list
http://www.paperpapillon.com/distress-ink-tutorial/
hugs pops x
I have only used distress inks this way a few times but I use watercolour paper as you shouldn't get the fibers of the paper breaking then, good paper or card is really the key I think
Lindsay xx
Hi Kez,
It deeply matters what card etc you are using and what watercolouring items you are using, i would suggest watercolour card from CCompanion its 300gsm and will NEVER bobble, no matter how much water you add. What are you using to watercolour with and how are you applying it??? I can help you but just need you to answer these questions first but remember you cant watercolour and blend on normal card it just doesnt happen and you end up getting so fed up you give it up as a bad job yet you may have been good at it, so get back to me if you can, on here or on my blog or email vickshine1@btinternet.com you can also find me on FB vicky mcclean hugs xxx
Oops i really should read posts properly!! its DI's you're using right....they're easier than other kinds of mediums, what i have said and everyone else heretoo these are great ideas,& links, i really think you should stick with it and get some watercolour card and the only reason ive said CC is because its cheaper than anywhere else for that particular board and i can highly recommend it as its all i use!! xxx speak soon hun
Post a Comment